Explore Engineering Jobs with Arup
Business Development Consultant
A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, we attract a diverse mix of people to work on ground breaking projects around the world.
On a day to day basis you will work with Bid Managers and technical teams in the strategic planning and development of winning bids and positioning activities. Working on multiple and varied opportunities, you will use your knowledge of the market and bid strategy skills, as well as your advanced written and visual communication, to guide and prepare quality content. The role requires you to be self-sufficient and flexible, with an ability to achieve deliverables and meet deadlines.
You will be an integral part of helping the group win work with existing, un-maintained and new clients.
The role will require a good understanding of local clients, the business development process, internal communications skills and strong working relationships within Arup to develop all aspects of the business.
Reporting directly to the NSW Consulting Group Leader, the post holder will work closely with the team leaders and senior staff within the group.
You will form a working relationship with other Business Development support staff in the Region.
- Monitor & obtain potential pre-qualifications, expression of Interests and Tenders
- Developing, capture, management and update of NSW Consulting BD collateral including:
- Capability Statements
- Project Sheets
- Example Tenders
- BD Guidance Notes
- Co-ordinate and assist the Group Leader to manage the bid pipeline in NSW Consulting
- Write, where appropriate, bid-related material
- Assist with project planning including fee estimates, contracts and resourcing requirements as they relate to possible projects
- Authoring non-standard documentation including tenders, capability statements, expressions of interest, proposals, reports and other documentation.
- Coordination / production of submissions/tenders, presentations and other business development material.
- Coordinate and maintain list of possible / probable projects, new bids submitted and projects awarded.
- Liaise with key personnel/others within the region to ensure timely delivery of information required to meet internal and external (client) deadlines and priorities.
- Coordinate targeted market /client research with the Clients & Markets Research manager.
- Understanding the market for your office area to define objectives and priorities, proactively managing activities and monitoring progress against the plan.
- Work under minimal supervision and provide guidance, training and support relating to your area of expertise to others in the office / sector beyond your Group.
- Be responsible for co-ordinating client feedback /activity especially addressing CAR3 clients.
- Manage local business development events and activities, in line with the overall events strategy.
- Representing your group at external meetings and be involved in developing events, activities and internal projects of some complexity relating to your area of expertise beyond your Practice.
- Work with the wider M&C team with respect to all other aspects of client development, PR, general communications and graphics.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
Knowledge of bidding best practice, and solid grasp of current market.
Achieved a professional qualification in a relevant field and minimum five years of business experience.
A broad skills base, high degree of technical capability, problem solving skills, flexibility, and professionalism.
Interpersonal and relationship building skills; communication and facilitation skills.
Strong written and visual communication skills.
Reviewing, proofing and editing skills.
Checking the quality and accuracy of your own and others’ work.
Experience in the development and production of tenders, reports and presentations.
Co-ordination of large-scale, multidisciplinary tender processes.
Ability to liaise and maintain positive relations with the Marketing & Communications group within Arup.
Ability to undertake information management and research activities as they relate to bidding and business development within the Group.
Planning & Organising
Sets and coordinates achievable targets for self and others in a structured and ordered way. Can schedule bid progress to achieve a quality product by deadline.
Checks and reports on progress against budgets and deadlines where required.
Manages time effectively and delegates tasks as appropriate.
Thinking & Decision Making
Thinks strategically by weighing up information to predict and plan likelihoods.
Uses diverse information and provides innovative solutions to bidding strategy and approach.
Understands fee, costs and budget to contribute to successful bid budget management.
Understands resourcing as it relates to time and cost, and contributes to the successful management of resourcing commitments on bids.
Understands the terms and conditions within contracts and can generally advise on these.
Is able to analyse bid spend and find efficiencies in process to reduce the cost of bidding.
Spots added value and new business opportunities.
Building (internal and external) Client Relationships
Ability to build rapport and network with external and internal parties as it relates to bidding and winning work.
Is able to gain a good understanding of client needs and meet these.
Adapts approach to suit the situation and is flexible in approach to each situation.
Ability to explain complex concepts to facilitate others’ understanding.
Ability to keep discussions on topic, within timeframes.
Uses various media when presenting information.
Adapts communication style to suit the audience.
Clearly and concisely identifies key issues, without avoiding the difficult issues.
Team Working & Leadership
Supports, trains and shares expertise with other staff where appropriate.
Is seen as accessible and approachable to others looking for help or information.
Has an understanding of team needs and pre-empts requirements.
Is clear with directions and requirements of team members.
- Microsoft office suite:
- Outlook (Advanced)
- Word (Advanced)
- Excel (Intermediate)
- InDesign (Advanced)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Extensive knowledge of bidding best practice, and solid grasp of current infrastructure market.
- Achieved a professional qualification in a relevant field and minimum five years of business experience.
- Experience in the development and production of tenders, reports and presentations.
- Strong track record in relationship-building and influencing techniques.
- Facilitation experience with the ability to manage up in the leadership of teams.
“It is not the wish to expand, but the quest for quality which has brought us to this position… to do work of quality, we must have people of quality. There are many kinds of quality, and there are many kinds of job to do, so we must have many kinds of people, each of which can do their own job well.” Ove Arup, 1970.
Date Posted: Sept. 7, 2016