please visit our International Site.
GIS Internship available summer 2018
Start your career at Arup, an independent engineering and consulting firm of 14,000 people in 42 countries around the world. Founded in 1946, we are the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment, including the Sydney Opera House, the London Eye, and the Beijing National Stadium (aka the Bird's Nest). Current North American projects include Fulton Street Transit Center in NYC, California High-Speed Rail, 2015 Pan Am Games stadiums in Toronto, and the Las Vegas Observation Wheel.
Our Los Angeles office is currently seeking a GIS Intern to join our Digital Insight Team. We are perpetual problem solvers and are always seeking new and innovative ways to help our clients bring ideas to life. Why are developers important to Arup? We like people who think big. We create the biggest pieces of hardware and software in the world, but our industry is still learning what this means. Bridges and tunnels and skyscrapers all over the world are our MVPs; how can you help us make them better? We are looking for people excited by the potential to use digital thinking to shape a better physical world.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Work efficiently with the project teams on day-to-day project work, actively generating own project work, networking internally and externally, assisting with projects relating to the GIS strategy, provide technical assistance and guidance
· Provide GIS support on projects for the Los Angeles Infrastructure team
· Generate cartographic output for reports, presentations, detailed mapping, etc
· Create and maintain GIS databases to store project data
· Advise on GIS data storage best practices
· Use of analytical GIS tools for spatial analysis, network analysis, etc
· Perform data conversion and manipulation, e.g. between GIS and CAD data types
· Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in GIS
· Interest in connecting digital and physical environments
· Good communication skills essential for team-based working
· Expertise in ArcGIS 10.5 or QGIS 2.18
· Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment
· Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Number: LOS00008P
Category: Applied Digital Strategies
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Date Posted: Feb. 9, 2018