please visit our International Site.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 13,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Our Toronto office is currently seeking an HR Business Partner to join our Human Resources Team. In this role, the HR Business Partner will also support clients in Montreal, Canada.
The role of the HR Business Partner (HRBP) is to support and drive the alignment of human resource priorities with Arup’s business strategy and culture by delivering comprehensive and fully integrated, sustainable human resources programs. This role will work closely with the leadership and staff to help educate, advise and influence client groups on issues involving but not limited to employee relations and retention, engagement, performance management, supervisor coaching, compensation planning, organizational development, professional development, and change management. As a consultant to the business, the HRBP actively works with business leaders and staff to anticipate and assess HR related needs. This role also brokers HR resources and expertise from HR COEs as required to help drive quality outcomes for a variety of business needs. The HRBP’s communications are focused on delivering clear, relevant information that articulates the HR diagnosis of a problem and the appropriate next steps. This role helps create and implement strategies to address chronic challenges that will significantly advance business and groups’ organizational health while ensuring the elevation and preservation of Arup values and culture. Responsibilities include:
High Performance Culture Activist & Change Management
• Accelerate alignment of culture and strategy to support Arup’s vision, mission, and values
• Support and/or drive programs that integrate diversity into compensation practices, performance review process, and various management issues
• Identify, advocate and integrate Human Resource talent solutions. Act as stewards of simplification to refine processes and eliminate non-value added activity
• Proactively support new HR programs across the business and apply and interpret new procedures and policies for the group(s) and staff
• Help to support and drive organizational changes as applicable and drive effective communications across the group(s) as needed
• Develop people strategies and design approaches for diagnosing and enhancing organizational effectiveness and employee satisfaction
Performance Management & Coaching
• Provides coaching and consulting to managers and employees in the areas of performance management, performance counseling, compensation, employee retention, employee development, positive employee relations practices, policy interpretation and implementation, and conflict resolution
• Quickly and responsibly resolves employee relations issues including preparing and approving performance improvement plans, conducting employee meetings, and internal & external investigation
Succession Planning & Leadership Development
• Provides insights and recommendations to leaders on talent acquisition, performance management, and leadership development to help build a talent pipeline that will enable long and short term strategic priorities for the groups they support
• Partners with the L&D team to deliver high quality training to enhance associate knowledge and build leadership capabilities
• Deliver talent review and calibration process
• Understands current staffing needs and priorities, as well as future anticipated gaps and partners with appropriate resources to bring in high caliber talent; Recommends solutions to leaders and managers
• Partners with Talent Acquisition to ensure recruitment strategies are aligned with business need; evaluates recruitment effectiveness and help drive recommendations in change of recruitment focus or strategy if necessary
• Evaluates HR policies and procedures to ensure compliance with local, state and federal law; stay up-to-date with current employment & wage and hour laws.
• Notifies appropriate cross-functional partners of any potential changes in local, state and federal laws.
• Assist as needed with entry of HR transactions in HRIS system (basic system updates) related to new hires, change of status, employee benefits, training, and termination of employment for efficient processing between HR, Facilities and IT
Scope & Direct Reports
• Lead direct reports; direct reports include an HR coordinator in respective office(s).
The Qualified Professional will have:
• Demonstrated capability in translating business needs to support leadership and drive implementation of people programs
• Substantial experience with employee relations, performance management and organizational change management
• Ability to handle ambiguity and prioritize within a changing environment
• Ability and proven experience in communicating, influencing, and partnering with clients and providing solutions
• Experience effectively leading projects
• Experience in effectively coaching and guiding employees at all levels
• Collaborative and effective contributor to the regional HR team
• Demonstrated ability in building rapport, trust, and strong relationships across the organization that result in being viewed as a trusted advisor
• Capacity to solve complex problems with a fresh perspective
• Able to deliver solutions and timely results
• Effective presentation and facilitation skills
• Bachelor’s degree; 8-10 years of experience minimum; Relevant HR certification
• Bilingual (English / French) is a plus
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Number: TOR0000BL
Category: Human Resources
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: Oct. 18, 2017