Shape a better world
Explore Engineering Jobs with Arup
Project Controls/Assistant Commercial Manager
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression
Bring Your Vision to shape a Better World.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways —developing many of the world’s most innovative and sustainable buildings, transport and civil engineering projects. Arup is a global engineering and consulting firm of 12,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients’ needs.
We are currently seeking a Project Controls/Assistant Commercial Manager to join our team to work on various projects in the Houston office including private sector, federal and state funded projects.
The focus of this role is to provide strong commercial support to project managers, directors and business administrators. In particular in the areas of:
- Financial management of projects
- Project scheduling and progress monitoring using MS Projects or Primavera P6.
- General commercial support on projects
- Bid support
- Training of staff in financial and commercial management of projects
- Assist the Project Manager in implementation of project specific cost control processes to ensure project profitability and other commercial goals are met.
- Bid and project budget estimation, resource planning, contract review and assessment.
- Utilize financial system to review, monitor and analyze financial performance, project costs and other performance parameters, assist in determining corrective actions to address poor financial performance.
- Track actuals against budgets, conduct variance analyses, carry out reporting of project financials and respond to queries from project teams and company executives on performance issues
- Apply for and manage job numbers
- Update project forecasts on a regular basis to ensure current and accurate reporting of project performance
- Assist in monitoring and managing scope changes; maintaining change and risk registers, issuing fee proposals; manage contract change orders
- Oversee collection, collation and review of timesheets of project team members
- Develop, monitor and report progress to project schedule using commercially available critical path project scheduling software.
- Carry out Earned Value reporting; cash flow forecasting and monitoring
- Oversee preparation and issuing of monthly client invoices and monitor accounts receivable
- Contract Administration: assist in checking compliance with contract requirements; prepare various monthly client reports; deal with any project specific insurance requirements
- Sub-contractor management: assist with commercial management of subs including preparation of sub agreements, tracking costs, and reviewing invoices and payments
- Carry out project financial close out and assist with client and sub consultants feedback and audits
- Support the firm’s compliance in maintaining ISO and OHSAS requirements
- Involvement in the development and implementation of project management improvement programs
- Other relevant duties as required
The Qualified professional will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in design or construction industry
- Commercial management background and experience in contractual matters preferred
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize effectively and manage deadlines; highly organized
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Ability to relate and work well with people at all levels within the team and within the wider office, as well as externally with clients.
- Very proactive; must show willingness to take on additional responsibilities without having to be assigned; a team player and able to perform independently.
- Must have experience in the areas of budgeting, financial reporting, cost tracking.
- Have an advanced knowledge of Excel, data manipulation and spreadsheet design to communicate results.
- Experience in PowerPoint for report preparation desirable.
- Experience in project scheduling software is desirable.
Job Number: HOU000011
Date Posted: June 27, 2016
Houston, Texas, United States
Date Posted: June 27, 2016
Send me jobs
Sign up to receive notification of new jobs and other company information.
Set up an RSS feed of content from this page.
Share this page with