Explore Engineering Jobs with Arup
Senior Commissioning Engineer
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression
Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways —developing many of the world’s most innovative and sustainable buildings, transport and civil engineering projects. Arup is a global engineering and consulting firm of over 12,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients’ needs.
Arup is seeking several highly motivated Engineers with a range of experience and expertise to join our team in Southern California. As a Commissioning Authority, you will work on a variety of Commissioning projects in new and existing commercial and institutional facilities. Projects will focus on identifying and correcting inefficiencies in HVAC and domestic hot water systems, central plants, lighting, process equipment, and building controls. The ideal candidate thrives in an innovative and challenging environment and has a passion for Commissioning , quality, energy efficiency and problem solving.
Successful candidates will have a background in HVAC engineering, direct digital controls, and energy efficiency strategies for large commercial buildings and a strong desire to balance their analytical and report writing skills with hands-on field work. The ideal candidate will also be an inquisitive problem solver that works well both independently and as part of a team and always maintains attention to detail, accuracy, and quality.
As a member of Arup’s Commissioning Group, you will play a key role in executing an array of Commissioning projects.
• Contribute primarily to Commissioning and occasionally to retro-commissioning, energy efficiency retrofit, and demand response projects.
• Help customers achieve required Commissioning tasks required to secure a LEED rating.
• Monitor HVAC systems with building automation systems and stand-alone data loggers to troubleshoot operational problems or to find inefficient control sequences.
• Perform hands-on testing of HVAC, lighting, and control systems in new and existing buildings
• Write commissioning plans and field reports for new construction projects
• Write assessment, detailed evaluation, and measurement and verification reports and retro-commissioning plans for existing facilities
• Write sequences of operations Perform measurement and verification of installed projects.
• Perform design reviews and make recommendations for improvements
• Ensure development of consistent and high-quality project deliverables
• Develop and maintain relationships with clients, customers, utility representatives, and contractors
• Coordinate with customers and contractors to review the project scope of work and technical documents
• Maintain detailed and accurate project records including data, documentation, and progress reports
• Develop and refine engineering methodologies, tools, and standards
• Develop project scopes and plans and manage to timelines and budgets
• Stay abreast of relevant industry developments and technology advancements
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical engineering, or equivalent professional experience
• LEED AP credential
• A commissioning certification (from University of Wisconsin or Building Commissioning Association)
• California-Licensed Professional Mechanical Engineer (PE) preferred
• 10–15 years of HVAC and controls experience in design, construction, energy evaluation and Commissioning
• Understanding and experience with the practice of Commissioning in accordance with ASHRAE Guideline 0 and other related guidelines.
• Understanding of complex HVAC, lighting, and control systems, including an ability to evaluate and troubleshoot.
• Knowledge of TAB procedures and theory.
• Understand and familiar with governing codes (Title-24, CMC, CBC, CEC, CFC etc..) and standards (ASHRAE)
• Highly motivated and self-directed, with history of taking initiative to solve problems
• Ability to forensically evaluate energy-consuming systems and detect and evaluate deficiencies.
• Ability to work multiple large-scale projects simultaneously while maintaining a high level of follow through and communication with key stakeholders.
• Dedication to completing projects on time and within budget.
• High level of attention to detail with ability to self-QC work and work of others.
• Strong facilitation, team building, collaboration, and problem solving skills
• Highly effective communicator with clear and concise writing and presentation skills
• Ability to maintain organized, detailed and accurate project records
• High degree of professionalism with an ability to interact with others at all levels
• Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Visio, PowerPoint, and Project
• Understanding and familiarity with Energy Pro
• Understanding of site safety procedures
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Date Posted: June 16, 2016