please visit our International Site.
Bridge and Civil Structures Leader
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Reporting to the Infrastructure Group Leader, the Bridge and Civil Structures (BCS) Leader will manage and deliver large scale Infrastructure projects.
The BCS Leader will have overall responsibility for the development and leadership of the Toronto and Montreal teams. These responsibilities include:
• Overall development and Leadership of the BCS Team in Canada
• Serving Project Manager or Project Director on large projects as determined by group leadership
• Achieving successful commercial delivery of all projects or portions of projects being delivered by the civil team;
• Proactively engaging with clients and contractors to prepare high quality, technically efficient and cost-effective project solutions; and
• Fostering a culture and executing processes that achieve quality outcomes
• Resource planning for the BCS engineering team;
• Mentoring staff to develop future leaders, develop junior staff skill-sets, and promote learning from successes and challenges within the group;
• Developing the technical, commercial and soft skills of staff;
• Recruiting of new staff to meet the demands of the business;
• Contributing to the overall leadership of the Infrastructure Practice in Canada and to the overall leadership of Arup's Canadian business;
• Being a strong ambassador of Arup culture and values;
• Promoting collaboration within infrastructure and other skill and business groups within Arup locally, regionally and globally;
• Building relationships with current and future key clients and partners and fostering healthy long-term relationships;
• Seeking new projects opportunities for Arup and contributing to or leading business development activities including preparing proposals;
• Setting out bid strategy, ensuring compliance with region strategy and bid guideline procedures, and developing, reviewing and approving proposal documents;
• Developing schedule, hour and cost estimates to complete work for major projects;
Typical requirements would be:
• Bachelor's / Master's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
• 20+ years' industry recognized experience in design of complex bridges.
• A proven track record in business development in Ontario and/or Quebec markets
• Member of PEO and/or OIQ for at least 10+ years
• Experience with DBB, PPP, Design and Build projects
• Knowledge of Canadian IO and MTQ design standards
• Experience in long span bridges and underground/below ground structures would be assets.
• Structural demolition and condition assessment experience would be assets
• Bi-lingual French and English would be an asset
• Strong leadership and management skills
• Established client network in the Canadian market with public and private sector clients and potential team partners
• Understanding of the competitive landscape in Canada
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Job Number: TOR0000G4
Category: Bridge & Civil Structures
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Date Posted: Dec. 13, 2019