please visit our International Site.
Electrical Engineering Intern (Summer 2020)
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you'll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
At Arup, we are dedicated to shaping a better world. For more than 70 years, we have helped bring to life groundbreaking projects across the globe, from The Sydney Opera House to the Carbon Free Boston study. Our 16,000-person global team regularly come together to devise solutions that benefit not just our clients, but also the world. We believe in continuous learning; providing a culture that is naturally curious and always stimulating.
We're currently looking for an Electrical Engineering Intern to join our growing multi-disciplinary team in Boston. If you are interested in working on complex projects and using the latest technologies and analytic methods to change the way projects are delivered in the built environment, then Arup is the place for you. We've been in the Boston market for 20 years, and our team works on both local and international projects like Northeastern University ISEC, Harvard Art Museums, the Green Line Extension, and Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort in Singapore.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Electrical systems design, predominantly for building projects, including power systems, lighting, fire alarm and other signal systems
• Working on diverse projects across all of our major business sectors including healthcare, higher-education, laboratories, energy, and infrastructure
• Collaborate with an exceptional multi-disciplinary engineering team leveraging our experience at the local, regional, and global levels
• Work directly with our clients and help support our client focused culture
• Electrical load calculations
• Design and perform calculations for lighting systems and associated controls
• Site visits to assess and verify field conditions and write field reports
• Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) or Bachelor Degree in Architectural Engineering (BSAE)
• Experience with Microsoft sofware (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)\
• Skills in planning, organization, and time management
• Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way, both in person and in writing
• Attitude of taking independent initiative, exhibiting creative problem-solving, eagerness to learn, while remaining dedicated to teamwork
• Experience with 3D BIM/CAD software such as AutoCAD MEP or Revit MEP
• EIT license or ability to obtain license within six months. Arup will assist with the costs associated with this.
• Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
• Master's degree in Electrical Engineering
• EIT/ FE certification
• BSEE: coursework in building systems design
• BSAE: coursework focusing on specialties within the construction side of the electrical engineering industry
• Internship or full-time experience in a consulting firm with emphasis on electrical design
• Demonstrated interest in sustainability as evidenced by extracurricular activities, etc
• Experience with Revit MEP, AutoCad, Autodesk MEP, AGI 32
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
• Harvard University Smith Campus Center
• Northeastern ISEC + Bridge
• Olver Transit Center
• Harvard Art Museums
• Institute of Contemporary Art / Boston
• WPI Foisie Innovation Studio & Residence Hall
• UMass Amherst Isenberg School of Management
• MIT Site 4 Residential Tower
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Job Number: BOS00005I
Category: Electrical Engineering
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Date Posted: None