To search jobs outside of the Americas,
please visit our International Site.
please visit our International Site.
Share This Page
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago and now employs 13,000 people globally. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Arup is engaged in the delivery of the detailed engineering design of a major offshore concrete gravity substructure (CGS). The CGS is being built in Newfoundland, Canada and will be towed to an offshore North Atlantic site in 120 meters water depth where it will be installed on the seabed and ballasted. The CGS will then support an oil drilling and production module. The 200,000 metric tonne CGS will be primarily constructed from reinforced and prestressed concrete. Arup has a large team of engineers, and technicians in St John’s completing the exacting design to Canada and International codes and standards. A follow-on engineering team is supporting the client and the constructor during the construction phase.
The CGS Engineering Manager will report to the CGS Project Manager, and interface with other project stakeholders including the client’s Project and Engineering Managers, and the Project and Engineering Managers for various other contractors involved in the design, construction or transportation of the CGS and related offshore infrastructure.
The Engineering Manager will be responsible for:
• Promoting and supporting engineering execution consistent with Arup’s requirements and core values of safety, integrity, teamwork and excellence
• Making sure that the Engineering team has access to the project baseline documents, understands and aligns to the project baseline, and executes and delivers to the project baseline
• Promoting, facilitating and managing proper communication and coordination among engineering disciplines
• Ensuring implementation of technical design requirements to meet health, safety, and environmental (HSE) regulatory requirements (law / cultural / local regulations)
• Promoting and supporting the Value Awareness effort
• Making sure that the necessary resources are assigned to the Engineering team for the project (including design personnel, staff specialists, and automation support)
• Arranging for discipline-coordinated work areas, communications, computers, e-mail, video conferencing, etc., as needed for efficient work execution
• Facilitating and managing the completion of required reviews
• Ensuring compliance with Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Newfoundland and Labrador sealing requirements
• Managing internal and external technical interfaces to facilitate design completion through provision and acquisition of key design data (or designate)
• Managing and monitoring with the Lead Area Engineers (LAEs) to provide the overall technical quality, integrity and adequacy of all engineering design deliverables within the project budget and schedule and according to the project design basis and standards
• Implementing rigorous change control procedures and ensuring implementation of only approved changes
• Reviewing cost estimates
• Managing and facilitating Quality checks and audits of the design
• Communication with key stakeholders on critical technical and design information and decisions including regulators, certifying authority, client executives, etc.
• Will have significant experience in the design and construction of major reinforced concrete structures.
• Will have experience in the management of design or construction support teams on large, multi-disciplinary construction projects, particularly in the onshore or offshore oil & gas industry or heavy industrial sector.
• Will have the ability to guide junior and senior engineers to reach technically appropriate conclusions in a timely manner based on information available to the team to complete a coordinated design.
• Will have excellent communication and managerial skills.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Job Number: ST.00000G
Category: Structural Engineering
Location: St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada
Date Posted: July 11, 2018