please visit our International Site.
Facades Engineering Intern - Summer 2020
Facades Engineering Intern - Available 2020
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you'll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Give structure to facades concepts / ideas - sketching, reports, sketchbooks, spreadsheets and analyses for discussion with Architects and clients
• Engage teams of architects and engineers focused on the 3D modeling (geometrical and detailing) of complex facades;
• Carry out structural, thermal and energy modeling of building enclosure details and systems;
• Utilize advanced analysis programs and techniques (CFD, finite element and microclimate) to understand building envelope physics and façade design;
• Undertake engineering façade calculations with various materials, including structural glass, aluminum, stainless steel, wood, stone and precast concrete
• Produce details and drawings using various 2D and 3D CAD and graphics packages;
• Perform technical reviews of shop drawings and construction administration submittals to ensure air, water, thermal, seismic, acoustic and structural performance
• Interpret specifications and design documents and write reports summarizing conditions
• Carry out mock-up, factory and field inspections and investigations
• Currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture or related Science discipline
• 3.0 GPA or higher
• Core interest in the façade industry with emphasis on detailing and engineering
• Good communication skills essential for team-based working
• Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
• Good sketching skills and an ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
• Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment
• Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
• Must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
• Master's or PhD degree with emphasis on architecture and engineering
• Coursework in façade engineering / building envelope physics / energy/thermal modeling skills
• Structural software skills, AutoCad skills, 3D modeling skills (Rhino, SketchUp, etc.)
• Internship experience with a design firm
• FE/EIT certification
• Membership in ASHRAE, ASME, ASCE or Society of Facade Engineering
• Proven ability to perform in a deadline environment and in a paid work environment with intermittent supervision
• Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
• San Francisco Public Utilities Commission Headquarters
• Concord Naval Weapons Station Reuse
• Salesforce Transit Center
• UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay
• San Francisco General Hospital
• San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
• Stanford Graduate School of Business
• High Roller Observation Wheel
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Job Number: SAN0000FS
Category: Facade Engineer
Location: San Francisco, California
Date Posted: None