please visit our International Site.
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
We are looking to add a Geotechnical Engineer to our New York Infrastructure team. The team is providing geotechnical services to our clients for design and construction projects in New York and the Americas region with emphasis on buildings, heavy civil, bridges and underground structures.
- Performing geotechnical design and analysis for deep and shallow foundations, earthworks, retaining walls, excavations, tunnels and underground structures.
- Collaborating within multi-disciplinary teams in the design of geotechnical elements for buildings and infrastructure projects, including residential and commercial buildings, bridges, tunnels, highways, railways and airports.
- Preparing geotechnical reports, design drawings and technical specifications
- Planning and overseeing subsurface investigation, laboratory testing and geotechnical instrumentation monitoring programs.
- Observing construction of geotechnical elements in the field, including pile driving, drilled shaft installation, shallow foundation subgrade preparation, and earthworks.
- Developing and maintaining Client relationships, both internally and externally.
- Delegating to and coaching graduate geotechnical engineering staff.
- Working with senior staff to assist with business development activities and the preparation of bid proposals.
- Presenting technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences.
- Understanding trends and best practices in the infrastructure industry.
- Participating in local Professional Associations.
Technical Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Civil, Geological, or Mining Engineering; Master's Degree in Geotechnical/Tunneling Engineering is preferred.
- EIT/FE in New York is preferred.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in geotechnical engineering practice with emphasis on design and analysis of building foundations, civil works, excavations and underground structures.
- Experience in Soil-Structure Interaction (SSI) using 2D and 3D numerical modelling tools such as Plaxis, LS-DYNA or FLAC.
- Experience in data processing using digital tools: development of workflows and generation of automated processes.
- Good knowledge of federal and state/city codes.
- Experience in foundations construction oversight.
- Strong organization skills including the ability to prioritize effectively, adapt to evolving project demands, and manage deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and teamworking skills.
- Active in professional circles and industry societies.
Arup is an employee-owned company that offers an excellent benefits package. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) - with a dollar for dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long-Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Job Number: NEW0000WC
Location: New York, New York
Date Posted: March 5, 2021