please visit our International Site.
Geotechnical Engineering Co-op
Geotechnical Engineering Internship/ Co-Op starting Fall 2019
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you'll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
During your internship, you will learn how to:
- Carry out part time site supervision of ground investigation
- Prepare laboratory test schedules
- Use the GINT ground investigation database system
- Interpret ground conditions and understand their impact on design and construction
- Prepare shallow and piled foundation designs, slope stability calculations and seismic assessments
- Carry out temporary support of excavation designs, for tunnel shafts and cut and cover tunnels/subway stations
- Conduct preliminary ground movement predictions and building damage assessments
- Work alongside our structural and bridge engineers to develop foundation and deep excavation designs
- Prepare desk study reports on sites due for development
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Geological Engineering or Civil Engineering (with focus on Geotech)
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Sound knowledge of civil engineering fundamentals, soil and rock mechanics
- Professional demeanor
- Good communication skills essential for team-based working
- Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges
- EIT/FE desired
- Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
- Proven ability to perform in a deadline environment
- Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
- Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field
Arup isthe creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projectsacross our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clientsaround the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and thecommunities in which we work.
- Calgary Cancer Center
- University of British Colombia
- National Music Centre of Canada
- Tim Horton's Field
- New Champlain Bridge
- Queen's Way West Revitalization
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
Arup is anequal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workenvironment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
For the second consecutive year, Arup has been named one ofGreater Toronto’s top employers! Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2019 arerecognized for exceptional human resources programs and forward-thinkingworkplace policies. Find out more about what makes our Toronto office anoutstanding place to work here: https://bit.ly/2B3QYL8
Job Number: TOR0000HE
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Date Posted: None