please visit our International Site.
Lighting Consultant Intern
Lighting Consultant Internship/ Co-Op-Available Spring/Summer 2021
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
Start your career at Arup, an independent engineering and consulting firm of 14,000 people in 42 countries around the world. Founded in 1946, we are the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects in the built environment, including the Sydney Opera House, the London Eye, and the Beijing National Stadium (aka the Bird's Nest).
During your internship at Arup, you'll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
We are seeking Lighting Consultant Interns. As a Lighting Consultant Intern, you will learn and apply the following:
• Develop concepts and strategies for lighting projects, with senior team members
• Lighting calculations (Electrical and Daylighting)
• Produce lighting modeling including building computer and physical models (3-D and 2-D)
• Develop visual materials to represent lighting designs, utilizing Photoshop and Adobe Suite
• Report writing
• Working on projects using Revit
• Giving structure to ideas - reports, spreadsheets, analyses, for discussion
• Working with vendors to gain knowledge on new subjects and assist in facilitating meetings
• Attending meetings and learning from listening, participating within teams, architects and other disciplines
• Bachelor or Master's Degree in Architecture, Architectural Engineering, Interior Design, Lighting, or Theatre design
• 3.0 GPA or higher
• Core interest in the lighting design industry with an emphasis on daylighting, theatre or architectural lighting design
• Understanding of lighting fundamentals including photometric quantities, calculation techniques, and light source types
• Ability to model in 3D via Rhino, AutoCAD, and/or SketchUp
• Knowledge of MS word, Excel, AGI 32, Revit and Adobe Suite
• Capability to explain spatial design in a conversational and visual context
• Coursework in Architectural or Lighting Systems Design and/or Building Systems Design
• The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
• Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
• 3.5 GPA or higher
• Internship experience in a consulting firm with emphasis on lighting design
• Academic research with relevant focus
• Membership as a student in IES, IALD, or similar
• Experience with AutoCAD, Revit, Radiance, and technical writing
• Exposure to programming such as, but not limited to, PHP, Python, C+, C#
• Skilled in hand sketching
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- Calgary Cancer Center
- University of British Colombia
- National Music Centre of Canada
- Tim Horton's Field
- New Champlain Bridge
- Queen's Way West Revitalization
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
For the fourth consecutive year, Arup has been named one of Greater Toronto's top employers! Greater Toronto's Top Employers for 2021 are recognized for exceptional human resources programs and forward-thinking workplace policies. Find out more about what makes our Toronto office an outstanding place to work here: https://bit.ly/3m0LdmC
Job Number: TOR0000NH
Category: Lighting Design
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Date Posted: Jan. 15, 2021