please visit our International Site.
Logistics and Operations Consultant
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression
Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
Arup is an employee-owned, global engineering and consulting firm of 14,000 creative minds. Our integrated approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients' needs.
Arup seizes opportunities to position our client's businesses for the future and to develop strategies that meet the needs of a changing world. Today's commercial reality is that businesses need to deliver high quality products, continual performance improvement, responsible strategies, demonstrable value and total people commitment. Understanding these drivers for change and embracing a design philosophy that maximizes technologies in logistics and freight requires a deep understanding of our client's business and the environment in which they operate. Arup helps clients to achieve maximum efficiency in operations and in the way their buildings are constructed and managed. By recognizing the value that can come from coherent, well-structured supply chains and processes, our logistics and operations consultants focus on working to find sustainable solutions with proven and emerging technologies.
Our San Francisco office is currently seeking a Logistics and Operations Consultant to undertake a range of operations, material handling and supply chain consulting activities. Some of the specific areas in which we are particularly seeking skills and knowledge of:
- Designing facilities to facilitate movement of goods and/or waste for campus or large mixed-use developments, for both public and private clients.
- Aviation logistics, including freight precincts, consolidated receiving centers, cargo, and service/delivery.
- Healthcare operations or design
- Warehousing, including automated storage and retrieval.
We understand that one person will not have experience in all of these areas, but experience in one or more area will be valuable.
The Logistics and Operations Consultant role is incorporated into our Integrated Planning team, working on developing integrated transportation and operational solutions for cities and developments at multiple scales. As a Logistics and Operations Consultant, you will report to the Logistics leader who will oversee project delivery and check all deliverables and calculations.
You will work in teams with a broad range of other experts, such as engineers and architects, to deliver operational solutions for new development. This will include:
- Evaluating the logistics requirements using some of our in-house tools, such as logistics vehicle and transportation calculations, waste volumes and material handling evaluations
- Planning for safe and efficient site access of logistics vehicles
- Researching new technology to support project work
- Designing back of house areas such as loading bays, material handling areas, storage rooms and waste management rooms
- Researching the best operational solutions for site and/or building
- Developing operational processes, designing logistics systems, and detailing equipment requirements
- Producing operational logistics reports with calculations, diagrams and recommendations
- Preparing and delivering effective presentations for internal and external meetings and representing Arup to clients
- Supporting business development efforts to secure logistics consulting work and build client relationships
- Delivering high-quality products
- Developing skills to financially manage projects
- Managing, mentoring, and sharing knowledge with more junior staff
Logistics consulting input can make a significant impact to the design requirements and operational viability of some new developments. Our consultants therefore usually get involved at a very early stage of the design process to ensure that our clients' operational requirements are fully understood and embedded in the design process.
Our staff work across teams and across sectors to provide a broad range of experience through our work in Integrated Planning.
- A Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering, Architecture, Operations Management or equivalent training through a transportation, planning, logistics or management-related field.
- Good communication skills. Working in a team is a key aspect of the work we deliver and candidates need to be good team players to provide creative input during internal and external design team meetings.
- Excellent planning and organization skills required for our fast-paced environment.
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft software, such as Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Experience in discrete event simulation modeling a plus (e.g. Arena, Simio software etc.).
- 4+ years of progressively responsible experience.
- Ability to interpret architectural and/or civil drawings
- Ability to use AutoCAD to open and review drawings
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Arup is an employee-owned company that offers an excellent benefits package. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) - with a dollar for dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long-Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. EOE including disability/veteran.
Job Number: SAN0000JH
Category: Transportation Planning
Location: San Francisco, California
Date Posted: Feb. 26, 2021