please visit our International Site.
Mechanical Engineering Intern - Available June 2021
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you'll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You'll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Design of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) services within the built environment
• Heating and cooling load analyses for the purposes of system sizing
• Air side and water side calculations for designing building systems
• Report writing: writing summaries of the calculation methodologies employed
• Giving structure to your own ideas - lots of “taking a first pass” at spreadsheets, reports and analyses for discussion later rather than instruction
• Attending meetings and learning from listening, asking questions and discussion
• Working with people from other disciplines and/or vendors to gain knowledge on new subjects.
• Currently pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Architectural Engineering
• 3.0 GPA or higher
• Coursework in HVAC design or heat transfer and thermodynamics
• Internship experience in engineering-related firm
• Proven interest in the built-environment
• Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
• Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
• Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity.
• Master's Degree in Mechanical or Architectural Engineering
• EIT/ FE certification
• Membership in ASHRAE or ASME
• Course in sustainability, Energy/thermal modeling skills, AutoCAD drafting skills
• Internship with HVAC emphasis
• Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
• Proven ability to perform in a paid work environment with intermittent supervision
• Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
• Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
• San Francisco Public Utilities Commission Headquarters
• Concord Naval Weapons Station Reuse
• Salesforce Transit Center
• UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay
• San Francisco General Hospital
• San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
• Stanford Graduate School of Business
• High Roller Observation Wheel
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Job Number: SAN0000IG
Category: Building Services - Mechanical
Location: San Francisco, California
Date Posted: Oct. 23, 2020