please visit our International Site.
Arup is a 15,000-person strong, global conglomerate of designers, engineers, planners and consultants, who regularly come together to devise solutions that benefit not just our clients, but also the world. Arup's culture looks a lot like the future: globally-linked, locally-focused, and radically innovative. We are searching for those rare individuals who are as smart and idealistic as they are ambitious. If this sounds like you, please read on.
Our Washington, DC office is looking to add a Mechanical Leader to lead mechanical system design and coordination with other disciplines on a variety of building projects.
HVAC System Design Requirements and Responsibilities
- Sound knowledge in mechanical engineering, including:
- Proficient in load calculations and ventilation calculations
- Experience in Energy Modeling and Life Cycle Analysis for code compliance, proficient in using the output of energy models to inform design decisions
- Experience in low carbon and zero energy design, such as geothermal system, load shedding by thermal mass, natural ventilation, etc.
- Track record of sustainable, low energy and innovative approach to design including projects designed to achieve LEED certification
- Experience in commissioning
- Design of mechanical systems including: heating, cooling, heat rejection, air and water distribution, ventilation, air conditioning, building automation and controls
- Preparing contract drawings, detailing the designed systems
- Writing of project reports and specifications
- Engaging with contractors for pre-construction and construction support activity
- Presenting technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with codes, specifically CMR, IMC, ASHRAE standards 55, 62.1, 90.1
- Coordinating work with engineers of other disciplines and architects
- Attending meetings and communicating with clients to establish their needs and discuss design issues with them
- Builds a climate of trust and openness in the team, develops individuals in their technical specialization, and delivers timely feedback and recognition to others
- Experience with 3D BIM software and/or advanced analyzing tool such as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Finite Element Heat Transfer
- Experience with digital workflows, including scripting for automation
- Understanding trends and standard methodologies in the DC market
Team Building & Project Management Responsibilities
- Managing development and work of other staff
- Responsible for remaining current on new technology
- Mentoring of junior staff
Responsible for project management, including day to day financial management on medium or large projects.
- Client Management Responsibilities
- Proposal Writing
- Communication Skills: written and oral.
- Tailors design and services to meet client needs
- Maintains good relationships with existing clients
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical or Mechanical/Architectural Engineering
- 10 or more years of related experience and a proven track record of mechanical system design for buildings which incorporates the goal of sustainability.
- PE required, experienced engineer of record preferred; NCEES preferred
- LEED Accreditation, WELL Certification, or ASHRAE BXCP Certification; LEED AP BD+C preferred
Top applicants will have experience with a broad range of building types both new and existing including:, Central utility plants, commercial offices, academic buildings, institutional and government buildings, museums, laboratories and data centers.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills crucial for team-based working.
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organizational skills are required for our constantly evolving environment
- Must be highly motivated, proactive and willing to take on new challenges.
We are an employee-owned company that offers an excellent benefits package. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) - with a dollar for dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long-Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. EOE including disability/veteran.
Job Number: WAS00003N
Category: Mechanical Engineering
Location: Washington, Dist Of Columbia
Date Posted: Feb. 26, 2021