please visit our International Site.
Senior Lighting Designer
For more than 70 years, Arup has helped bring to life groundbreaking projects across the world. We are a 14,000-person strong, global group of designers, engineers, planners and consultants, who regularly come together to devise solutions that benefit not just our clients, but also our world. We believe that great design comes out of a commitment to quality, creativity, and intensive cross-disciplinary collaboration.
With a large multidisciplinary staff, Arup’s San Francisco office, located in the heart of downtown, is much like the city itself—diverse, technologically innovative, and actively working toward a more sustainable future.
Arup San Francisco is currently seeking a Senior Lighting Designer to direct lighting projects, supervise and mentor teams of Lighting Designers to support our expanding global opportunities, with experience architectural lighting design and familiarity in daylighting for sustainable buildings and urban spaces. Your primary responsibilities will be to develop client relationships, and lead and manage project teams to achieve creative, technical and commercial success in the lighting business, win work while developing additional market presence and creation of opportunities for work and market presence. In this role;
• Supervise lighting design project teams to develop creative and client responsive design solutions
• Participate in the overall performance of the Lighting Group
• Further the lighting design profile of Arup in the external marketplace as the premium solution provider, in conjunction with the regional and global lighting strategy
• Work with other disciplines within Arup for project generation and design as needed
• Mentor design staff at all phases of their career
• Lead lighting design only discipline projects with high quality, design forward design solutions
• Lead collaborative design driven process for developing inspirational and technically sound solutions
• Develop external clients for lighting and consulting projects, while servicing and expanding the current steam of internal work from the San Francisco office
• Actively participate and manage assigned Business Development activities, with internal support
• Management level input into the ongoing staffing needs
• Develop forward looking project plans for successful project delivery (staffing, quality of deliverables, fee spend)
• Deliver profitable financial performance in specified areas. (e.g. healthy profit/ positive cash flow for project, lighting or otherwise) with activities / Oversight of fee and project spend through various Arup financial tools, with the support of Accounting and Lighting Team Leader(Project, Possible Projects Spend, Promotional)
• Collaborate with the Arup San Francisco Lighting Group Leader on operations
• Collaborate with the Lighting Team Leader and report up on Skills development and related issues
• Continue to show Arup’s market leading Lighting Design services including sustainability, theatrical, architectural, and daylighting skills as an integrated component of a full service lighting design offering
• A minimum of three years’ experience as a senior lighting design professional with a market presence in the art of illumination
• Bachelor Degree or higher in field related to Architecture / Interior / Product Design / Design / Engineering
• Experience based design and thought leadership pertaining to the Arup position / scope
• Substantial knowledge and experience in lighting design consultancy and understanding various types of project delivery techniques
• Shown ability to deliver project in different market types.
• Knowledge of the local marketplace, including critical issues and a sound client network
• Ability to undertake high level analysis
• Ability to create expressive lighting design solutions, influence well being and inspire through light, and deliver conceptual narratives with storytelling acumen
• Ability to generate external business for lighting projects, and abilities for creating multi-disciplinary service offerings. By having sought after and industry thought leadership offering
• Successful experience in delivering landmark projects, including familiarity with the management of multi-disciplinary project teams; showing design inspired, commercially positive solutions with high client satisfaction
• Substantial experience in the lighting design studio and consulting environment, including the ability to advise clients on design forward cost-effective, sustainable solutions
• Substantial experience in guiding the professional development of less experienced lighting designer (and hence, contributing the skill development of the team)
• AGI lighting calculation software skills and capable for staff/project team direction of tasks
• Proficiency with AutoCAD and Revit for accessing drawings and making design updates
• Familiarity with Adobe Create Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and etc), Microsoft Office and Windows
• Team player and leader
• Passionately aware of the built environment
• Provider of design driven solutions suitable for the international stage
• Good communicator and strong interpersonal skills (including formal and informal presentation, written communications and reports)
• Understanding of “customer” needs (both internal and external), and the issues which may impact on maintaining effectiveness within a commercial environment
• Intuitive (to client needs as well as the project context) and creative in developing win-win solutions.
Arup is an employee-owned company that offers an excellent, family-friendly benefits package, including healthcare, 401k match, time off and profit share. We are a proud equal opportunity employer.
Job Number: SAN0000BO
Category: Lighting Design
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Date Posted: July 10, 2018