please visit our International Site.
Performance Test Analyst
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Digital Technology is a team of professionals collaborating globally to support and enable over 20,000 colleagues and clients. Customer focused with a service mentality, we design and develop software, protect and run the firm's digital infrastructure, support and maintain applications and data platforms, deliver projects, manage risk, provide consultancy and partner with strategic vendors to help enable the Arup Strategy and Digital Vision.
The Performance Analyst will work within the Monitoring & Tooling team to support the reporting, testing, design, transition, operation, and continuous improvement of their responsible service.
The performance analyst role is there to drive incremental process maturity across DTG.
Analysts require good communication skills and must be able to work collaboratively with Engineers, other Analysts, Service Leaders, Operations Managers, Vendors, Architects and other DT professionals.
Understanding of “the big picture” and the role within the software development lifecycle.
Understand what the developers, PM's, QA, and operations folks are up to and how to interface with them. Understand how organizational changes impact other groups.
The Analyst reports to the Service Leader who may be in the same or other time zone.
The core responsibilities of the Analyst are as follows;
• Perform load tests to validate system performance and stability.
• Reviews and contributes to documentation relevant to services e.g. Design, Service Transition to Support, Standard Operating Procedures, SLAs, OLAs.
• Recommend continuous improvements to processes and ways of working based on process improvement feedback from client groups.
• Acquire, report and document quality service metrics as required to support and highlight operational stability across the relevant service groups.
• Assess opportunities for efficiency and improvements in service quality (e.g. correlating incidents to an underlying problem to support service leaders to address the root cause).
• Review service reporting against SLAs, and other quality metrics defined by the Service Leader.
• Prepare reports and operational dashboards showing service metrics (lagging and leading) to demonstrate service performance.
• Research and evaluate emerging technologies and automation in the Customer Services domain.
• Coordinate with 3rd Party services / performance specialists to baseline and diagnose performance.
• Analyse test results and work with Developers, Analysts and Engineers to perform bug fixes.
• Provide technical assistance to improve system performance, capacity, reliability and scalability.
• Perform root cause analysis of performance issues and suggest corrective actions.
• Oversee system performance lifecycle and identify key metrics for performance improvements.
• Evaluate system performances and recommend improvements.
• Generate periodic performance reports for management review
• Analyse on performance and capacity, tune large scale JAVA and C++ internet applications.
• Troubleshoot and resolve Tomcat, JAVA and C++ application server issues.
• Create scripting in Bash, Perl, PHP and JAVA load test tools.
• Develop and execute pre-emptive monitoring and maintain processes and tools.
• Develop data and statistical reports for system performance and capacity.
• Develop GUIs for DTG and Arup to oversee a wide range of statistics.
• Benchmark and optimize Arup's client's performance and server products.
• Use performance analysis like time-based profiling, volume and stress testing.
• Gain awareness of complex product features and execution affecting product performance.
• Coordinate with customer support teams to diagnose performance issues.
• Implement tests and analyse data to identify system bottlenecks.
• Determine high-level performance test scope, timeframes and environment needs.
• Conduct performance test, analysis and report summaries to enable decisions before releases.
• Act as an SME at the architectural stage, advising on the impacts of technology and design choices with regards to performance and identifies impediments to smooth information flow.
Experience in some or all of the following:
• Performance and Load Management Tooling
• Monitoring Systems (e.g. New Relic, Splunk)
• 3+ years' experience in relevant performance and load testing roles
• Strong analytical & technical skills supported by excellent written and verbal communication
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, including teamwork, collaboration and facilitation
• Requirements capture and analysis
• Process modelling and documentation (e.g. BPMN)
• High energy, motivated, open-minded and willing to embrace innovation and new technology
• Track record of success in team environments
• ITIL Certification in Service Management Foundation level (or related equivalent qualification)
• Domain experience with Web Technologies
• Broad base technology knowledge
• Understanding complex systems
- Interpret and draw system diagrams.
- Understand systems environments like shared resources, components, and services, CPU, memory, storage, network, and soft resources.
- Understand the differences between production and test environments like containers, cloud, virtualization, and configuration management.
• Designing effective tests
- Identify goals, requirements, desires, and stakeholders.
- Understand how to test concurrency, arrival rates, and scheduling.
- Understand the roles of scalability, capacity, and reliability as quality attributes and requirements.
- Understand how to test data and data management.
• Modelling Load
- Identify transactions and workflows, calculate workload TPS goals and rates.
- Calculate think time and pacing.
- Understand how to log file analyses, run queries, and monitor production.
• Automating Scripts and Tests
- Measure parameters and dynamic content.
- Evaluate transaction measurement and naming conventions.
- Understand the effect of proper validations.
• Interpreting Test Performance Results
- Use consistent measurements and metrics.
- Identify bottlenecks, and where they are occurring.
- Effectively read results and interpret graphs.
- Describe the relationship between queues and sub-systems
- General knowledge of the latest computing concepts and terminology.
- Experienced with things like installing an OS from scratch (Windows, Linux, etc…), putting their own PC's and networks together.
- Networking Essentials - an understanding of the OSI model, TCP/IP stack, and how DNS, DHCP, WINS, Routers/Switches/Hubs, etc works. General understanding and use of network tools such as sniffers to determine a network bottleneck
- Understand performance testing, tuning, and capacity planning methodologies and processes common to the industry.
- Set best practices and documentation for testing, tuning, and planning
• Scripting & Coding
- At a minimum, experience of and able to create test scripts easily for a wide variety of protocols. i.e. Winsock, COM, HTTP, Citrix etc.
- Solid understanding of good coding practices, able to look at HTML, ASP, JSP, Java, C, and other code and grasp the concept of what is going on.
- SQL (queries, stored procedures, indexes, administration, replication, etc…).
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP/401K match, time off and profit share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Job Number: TOR0000IG
Category: Information Technology
Location: Edison, New Jersey
Date Posted: None