please visit our International Site.
Senior Systems Assurance Engineer
Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the everchanging environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
We are currently seeking a Senior Systems Assurance Engineer with specialist skills in Safety and Systems Assurance and RAM to join our Rail Systems Team in Toronto and work with multidisciplinary engineering teams delivering a portfolio of exciting, varied rail projects as part of an established and expanding Rail Business.
Reporting to our Systems Assurance Lead and supported by our Rail Systems Head, you will work with project teams of Railway and Infrastructure Engineers at bid and project stages. You will provide support and advice to multidisciplinary teams across Arup Americas Region on all rail system and system assurance issues. This can range from leading the requirements management, interface management and assurance through detailed design for RAMS and system modelling to hazard analysis and dependability analysis.
The position offers scope for personal skill development, especially in relation to increasing of RAMS expertise within a rail environment and also mentoring more junior members of the team. The focus will be on developing existing skills and experience and sharing this experience with other team members, in a stimulating and challenging project environment, and so enhancing Arup's overall systems engineering and rail capability.
Typical activities will include:
- Producing System Safety and RAM plans and models and setting up and implementing of typical System Safety and Assurance processes
- Facilitating HAZID, FMEA/FMECA, WHATIF etc. workshops
- Setting up and managing Hazard Logs
- leading or undertaking system safety and RAM activities for feasibility, concept and detailed design of rail projects
- SIL assessments
- development of ALARP/SFAIRP assessments
- Independent review of safety activities performed by others,
- Development of safety critical and RAM critical items lists
- Overall systems assurance and V&V
- Independent review of RAM activities undertaken by others
- Support the preparation of bids and tenders to help win work for the Firm
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the rail domain, its technology and design industries
- A university engineering degree in electrical, electronic or information systems or similar
- Professional Engineer status or working towards P.Eng registration
- Able to demonstrate ability and experience in formulating and implementing System Engineering and Assurance plans and processes, and ensuring that project teams operate in accordance with those plans and processes
- Able to explain modern systems assurance techniques and processes to engineers and managers
- Experience with rail projects and their modern design lifecycles
Desirable Skills and Knowledge
- Familiarity with current engineering safety management practice
- Familiar with railway performance modelling (including power modelling)
- Experience of requirements management tools such as IBM DOORS
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Job Number: TOR0000MV
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Date Posted: March 5, 2021