please visit our International Site.
Smart Buildings Consultant
Smart Buildings Consultant
Is the term “smart building” in your daily vocabulary? Do you love evaluating and working with new technologies, and using building systems’ data to define new outcomes? Are you a natural leader, helping clients to understand the complex interaction of technology in the built environment? Then this position is for you.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. The firm opened its first office over 70 years ago, and now employs 14,000 people globally. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
The future of the industry is helping clients learn how to leverage data exchange to improve the human experience in the built environment. The Arup Chicago office is currently leading this “Digital Master Planning” effort in the Americas, and we are actively seeking candidates who are passionate about doing good work. Our team consults with clients on a wide array of projects, from million+ square foot smart buildings, to multi-billion-dollar mixed used developments, to enterprise portfolios.
This position is for a person who is interested in working alongside industry experts and growing in the context of world-class projects and programs. Team leadership and client engagement skills are a key, since this position will have a heavy component of assessing client needs, educating the client on possibilities, helping them make informed decisions that will benefit their business, and then leading a team of technical designers within Arup to deliver on the solutions developed. We are pushing the boundaries with helping our clients become data driven in how they plan, design, implement, and operate their facilities – and we need your help to continue to grow our industry-leading position.
The ideal candidate will have most of the following characteristics, and be willing to learn and grow in a fast-paced industry.
• A strong base in their understanding of how buildings are designed, built, and operated. Deep design skills in at least one design discipline, preferably a low voltage system or mechanical/electrical design experience. As part of this background, experience working with architects, engineers, specialty consultants, and clients is expected.
• Industry certifications commensurate with the role, such as RCDD, LEED, ITIL, etc.
• Understanding of building controls systems and design approach, or similar IoT background.
• Experience with the AIA design and construction cycle (SD/DD/CD/CA)
• Familiarity with / able to use design tools such as CAD and Revit, and to lead teams that utilize these tools.
• A history of project work that spans planning, design, implementation, and successful handoff to clients.
• Able to consult based upon their broad experience in IT systems/software, telecommunications, low voltage systems such as audiovisual and security, network/WiFi, IoT sensors, BMS/controls, and the integration of these to provide “smart” capabilities in the built environment.
• Capable in Project Management.
• Experience with leading design and consulting teams against a defined scope of work, schedule and budget.
• Strong client-facing skills, including business acumen, face-to-face communications, presentation experience, SOW development, report writing, and negotiating.
• Familiarity with major systems manufacturers and their product lines.
• Be a fast learner, self-motivated to learn new processes and meticulously track progress.
The position’s requirements and responsibilities include:
• Minimum of 8 years of experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
• Action oriented and collaborative; works well independently or as part of a team
• Ability to track work performed in detail in collaboration with others
• Ability to empathize and collaborate with non-technical partners
• Ability to evaluate own workload and that of supporting team to prioritize work with multiple deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective relationships with clients, architects, engineers, contractors and other team members
• Familiar and experienced in working with Microsoft Office products, including Visio, Project, and One Note
• Experience in Revit MEP, AutoCAD, and BlueBeam as well as delivering technology consulting projects in BIM a plus
• Willingness to travel on a somewhat frequent basis to deliver world-leading projects
• Interest in multi-discipline work, to collaborate with Arup’s global team in planning, design, and consulting for our clients
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Job Number: CHI00002N
Category: Information Technology
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Date Posted: None