please visit our International Site.
Structural Blast Consultant
Arup's San Francisco office is seeking a Structural Blast Consultant to join our team. The primary focus of the Consultant is to provide specialist blast consulting and physical security design services for a variety of clients in the United States and around the globe.
The role requires a person with a broad knowledge of: structural, civil or architectural engineering; the planning, design and construction process; as well as clear and pro-active communication with internal and external parties. The candidate should also be able to independently perform project tasks such as developing and presenting conceptual ideas to their project manager for review. Experience with blast modeling and understanding of material performance under high strain rates (blast, impact) is desired but not required.
Your Responsibilities will include:
• Have a practicing knowledge of civil, structural or architectural engineering and an understanding of dynamic loading and non-linear modeling;
• Carry out modeling or assessments using the most applicable tools for the task which could include design codes, industry recommendations/guidance, analysis/engineering software, and coded scripts;
• Interpret and apply the results of threat and vulnerability risk assessments.
• Effectively manage your time and work quality within established timeframes and project expectations
• Prepare and deliver physical security and blast reports detailing the methodology of the process undertaken, illustration of the results in a manner that can be understood by clients, and strategically advising on best outcomes
• Participate in the presentation of project results to clients;
• Assist in the identification and development of new business opportunities.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with private sector clients, government agencies, professional firms and consultants relevant to the team's activities
• Work collaboratively with other Arup personnel, including both the AT+R and Resilience, Security & Risk leaders, other members of the team, and other Arup teams across the Region in the delivery of successful projects/ assignments.
Minimum Technical Skills and Qualifications:
• Degree in civil, structural, architectural engineering or similar area;
• Minimum of 3 years of industry experience within a consulting business environment or design experience with a contractor/integrator;
• Proven working knowledge of relevant regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines
Preferred Technical Skills and Qualifications:
• Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies, or licensure, or significant credit towards eligibility
• Experience of using finite element packages such as Strand7 or LS-DYNA;
• Experience developing and applying digital tools, codes and scripts in relevant analysis or design applications
• An understanding of holistic security strategy, electronic or operational security;
• An understanding of what is needed to support an efficient and commercially viable team
• Contribute to internal technical research initiatives and seek to improve existing methods and processes
• Understand security processes and the background to why blast analysis is required, and how it fits into a broader physical security strategy;
• Understand physical security and structural/ blast concepts, and the capability to turn the concepts into design.
• Liaise with clients and stakeholders to coordinate and confirm requirements during the design process.
Communication and Client Relations:
• Understanding of latest modeling process and programs for the determination of blast loads
Arup offers an excellent benefits package including healthcare, 401k match of 10%, Paid Time Off (PTO) and bonus compensation in the form of Profit Share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.
Job Number: SAN0000J5
Location: San Francisco, California
Date Posted: Nov. 30, 2020